Poetry , in my opinion, is a form/genre of art which depicts the rhythm of life. We begin to express our thoughts when we indulge ourselves in the aura of poetry. I personally love to write poems as it brings out the creative self of mine through which my bond with literature becomes strong and every time I start believing in myself.
Thus, sharing few tips, which I follow, to write a poem:
- Do not think too analytically. Follow your instincts.
- Create a picture in your mind of what you have thought about.
- Use a pattern or framework. Decide whether your poem will be long or short and will it be building a rhyme scheme or maintaining a free verse.
- If your poem has to rhyme, then list down words which rhyme easily with each other. You can take help from a dictionary, which I always prefer.
- Sometimes, the words may not be exact rhyming words.
- Listen to the rhythm or music behind each word.
- Break your thoughts into smaller lines and divide them into stanzas.
- I am not getting into the detail of any of the figures of speech, but proper usage of SIMILE, METAPHOR, ALLITERATION, PERSONIFICATION and ONOMATOPOEIA highlights the nuances of a poetry. Try to use at least two of them.
- Punctuation in a poetry utters your unspoken words and expression. Application of punctuation in correct places enriches your poetry. However, what, where and when to use them depend upon a poet.
- Finally, pen down your awesome creation.
- A fragment of my own creation….
Poetry is the rhythm of life Which plays a jingle to us, Poetry utters the unspoken self And we follow and thrive. Sohini Sengupta